Huevos Rancheros with Salsa Verde
Servings6 servings (1 serving = 1 egg, ¼ cup black beans, topped with salsa)
For the Salsa Verde
- cooking spray
- 1 1/2 cups fresh tomatillos, husks removed, washed, and halved
- 1/4 cup green onions, cut in quarters
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 teaspoon agave nectar
- 1 fresh jalapeno pepper, seeded and cut in quarters
- 1 clove garlic
- salt to taste
For the Black Bean Puree
- cooking spray
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chilies in adobo sauce
For the Eggs
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup low-fat shredded Monterey Jack cheese or low-fat queso fresco (Mexican cheese)
- 1/2 cup fresh tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup avocado, sliced
- cilantro leaves for garnish
- For the salsa: Coat skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Place tomatillos in skillet and sear on both sides, approximately 5-7 minutes or until charred and softened.
- Add tomatillos, green onions, cilantro, agave nectar, jalapeno pepper, garlic, and salt to taste in container of food processor fitted with metal blade. Cover and pulse several times until chopped to desired consistency. Place in small bowl, cover, and refrigerate until needed.
- For the black bean puree: Coat skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the garlic, and cook 1 minute until light brown. Mix in the black beans, chicken broth, and chilies; simmer until beans are heated through, about 2-3 minutes. Place black bean mixture in container of food processor fitted with metal blade. Cover and process until well blended. Return to skillet and keep warm.
- Coat skillet with cooking spray and place over medium high heat. Crack eggs into skillet, and cook to desired firmness.
- Top with the salsa as desired, 1 slice of avocado, cheese, tomato, and cilantro leaves.
Calories: 18 | Total Protein: 0.5g | Total Carbs: 3.9g | Total Fat: 0.4g
Black Bean Puree
Calories: 42 | Total Protein: 2.8g | Total Carbs: 6.8g | Total Fat: 0.5g
Calories: 180 | Total Protein: 6.8g | Total Carbs: 2.8g | Total Fat: 8g
Adapted with permission from https://insidekarenskitchen.com/huevos-rancheros-with-salsa-verde/