Chicken Avocado Caprese Salad
Servings8 servings [1 serving = 3 ounces chicken (the size of a deck of cards), ½ cup vegetables, 2 tablespoons quinoa, optional if still hungry]
Dressing/Marinade (this makes extra)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar or agave
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup quinoa, cooked
- 5 cups romaine lettuce, washed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup mini mozzarella cheese balls, halved
- 1 14-ounce can quartered artichoke hearts, drained
- 1/4 cup basil leaves, thinly sliced
- sea salt and black pepper to season
- For the marinade/dressing: Whisk marinade ingredients together in a small bowl. Place chicken into a ziplock plastic bag; pour 4 tablespoons of the marinade/dressing onto the chicken, reserving the remaining marinade/dressing for later. Seal the bag and evenly coat chicken in the marinade/dressing. Let marinate for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Lightly coat a large skillet with cooking spray and place over medium-high heat. Remove chicken from plastic bag and discard marinade. Add chicken to the skillet and cook about 7 minutes per side until no longer pink and juices run clear. Remove from heat and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice chicken into strips. Prepare salad by arranging lettuce and quinoa on a serving platter. Top with avocado slices, tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, artichoke hearts, and sliced chicken. Top with basil strips, drizzle with the remaining dressing, and season with salt and pepper.
Adapted with permission from https://insidekarenskitchen.com/chicken-avocado-caprese-salad/