Prediabetes is a warning sign from your body—it’s time to act! This is your chance to prevent type 2 diabetes.
Having prediabetes means you have higher than normal blood sugar. High blood sugar can lead to developing type 2 diabetes. More than 1 in 3 adults have prediabetes, and 9 in 10 of those adults don’t even know it.
Losing a small amount of weight (5 to 10% of your body weight) and getting more physical activity can make a huge difference. Even if you don’t need to lose weight, we have healthy eating and physical activity wellness tools for you.
Take the first step
When you’re ready to take the first step to prevent diabetes, we’re here for you! Our Healthy Balance program is recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as a proven weight loss program.
Healthy Balance is based on three ideas for success: healthy eating, daily habits, and getting active. Our weight loss professionals work with you to help achieve your goals, while other program members are there for support.
- Sessions are offered weekly. Start when you are ready
- Learn and practice new ways to help you lose weight and feel great
- Attend 16 weekly group sessions
- Receive monthly personal phone coaching
- Available at no cost to most Kaiser Permanente members1
5 ways to prevent diabetes
Prediabetes means you don’t have type 2 diabetes yet, but you do have a high risk of getting it in the future. It’s a like an early warning sign. Learn more about the basics of blood sugar and what you can do to slow down or prevent diabetes by eating healthy, moving more, and losing weight.
Total Health Assessment
Make good health a part of your daily habits with our healthy lifestyle programs. These personalized, online programs can help you create an action plan to reach your health goals. Based on your Total Health Assessment results, you’ll find advice, encouragement, and tools that can help you make healthier lifestyle choices.
- Some members may have a cost share for health education classes, including Healthy Balance. Check your Evidence of Coverage or contact Member Services at 1-800-464-4000 (TTY 711), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (closed holidays), for benefit information about your plan’s coverage of health education programs, workshops, and classes. Services described here are provided to nonmembers on a fee-for-service basis, and nonmembers are financially responsible to pay for them. Clinical services are provided by providers or contractors of the Southern California Permanente Medical Group. Results of services may vary among patients and cannot be guaranteed. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals may receive compensation for providing facilities and/or other support in connection with these services. These services are not meant to replace any covered services under members’ health plan benefits. If you are a Kaiser Permanente member, please check your Evidence of Coverage for specific covered health plan benefit information.