What Healthy Balance is all about
We want to help you become the best version of yourself. Yet we recognize that there isn’t a one-size-fits-all approach to staying healthy. Managing weight requires a balance of many factors, and our program is here to support you wherever you are on your health journey.
Losing 5 to 10%
of your body weight
can reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Our members are
- Average weight loss 6 months after starting the program: 7.7%
- Average weight loss 12 months after starting the program: 9.8%
- More than 3 out of 4 members lose at least 5% of their body weight 12 months after starting the program1
You are in good hands
As part of your Kaiser Permanente care team, facilitators and coaches are weight management professionals trained in nutrition, behavior change, fitness, motivational interviewing, and group facilitation.
Join a nationally
Healthy Balance is a weight management and diabetes prevention program recognized by the CDC to prevent or delay type 2 diabetes.
What to expect
You are not alone
on your journey
Join others going through similar health journeys in a weekly series. Plus, you’ll have access to a professional wellness coach to help you reach your personal health goals.
Convenient and easy
Healthy Balance programs are available in person or online.
Available at no
cost to members
Healthy Balance is available at no cost to most members2 unless specified otherwise.
Find workshops in your area
Ready to make some changes? Visit the area closest to you for more information.
What is prediabetes,
and am I at risk?
Prediabetes is a serious health condition that occurs when blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough yet to be diagnosed as type 2 diabetes. Approximately 96 million American adults — more than 1 in 3 — have prediabetes. Of those with prediabetes, more than 80% don’t even know they have it. Prediabetes puts you at increased risk of developing type 2 diabetes, heart disease, and stroke. (CDC)
Healthy Balance success stories
- Who attend at least 8 sessions over 9 months. Source: June 2023 Kaiser Permanente Healthy Balance Dashboard
- Some members may have a cost share for health education classes, including Healthy Balance. Check your Evidence of Coverage or contact Member Services at 1-800-464-4000 (TTY 711), 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (closed holidays), for benefit information about your plan’s coverage of health education programs, workshops, and classes. Services described here are provided to nonmembers on a fee-for-service basis, and nonmembers are financially responsible to pay for them. Clinical services are provided by providers or contractors of the Southern California Permanente Medical Group. Results of services may vary among patients and cannot be guaranteed. Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc. and Kaiser Foundation Hospitals may receive compensation for providing facilities and/or other support in connection with these services. These services are not meant to replace any covered services under members’ health plan benefits. If you are a Kaiser Permanente member, please check your Evidence of Coverage for specific covered health plan benefit information.